Planning Engineer is considered the right-hand of a Project Manager as he floats the information about project times and allocated budget from time to time. Project Manager uses that information to take a decision to execute the project smoothly.
Planning Engineer role for Construction Projects varies with Stakeholders who are working for. Like he can be working for PMC- Project Management Consultant, EPC-Engineering, Procurement Construction, Main Contractor or Sub-Contractor.
There are different designations available for this post like Junior Planning Engineer, Site Planning Engineer, Planning Engineer, Lead Planner, Planning Manager, Project Control lead. All these terms are specifying as per industry standard. In this article, we are going to discuss all as a Planning Engineer.
These are also other categories like turnaround planning engineer, Shut-down planner, Material Planner but these are for operational plants only.
Read More: Project Portfolio Management
Qualification Required for a Planning Engineer
An Engineering degree is must with a certification like PMP – Project Management Professional, PSP-Project Management Professional, PMI-SP or Masters in Project Management will be an extra advantage.
A Scheduler however need not necessarily to have an Engineering degree as his role only to take over the plan once approved to track or to elaborate it later on.
Roles & Responsibilities | Job Description
Again, it’s all depends on which firm are you working like PMT/PMC, EPC or a Contractor and responsibilities will be different in a different entity.
Planning Engineer Job Description also differs from project to project as for big project he may be handling one project and is available on site in another case he is dealing all from Head Office. But here we will only discuss if all types of planners are available on the project site. Some on the common planning engineer job description but not limited to are mentioned below;
A planning engineer is expected to know about these tasks
- Good Understanding for SOP: Scope of work is all mentioned in contract documents, he should prepare his plan so that there is no Scope Creep in the project.
- Understand & Knows Drawings: He should be well versed on drawing reading at least to evaluate the quantities although this is a job of a QS- Quantity Surveyor but on a smaller project, you may have fewer resources in the case.
- Scheduling Software: He should be well versed on Scheduling software that is being used on the project like Primavera P6 and Microsoft Project, Asta or Tilos. He should know advanced Microsoft Excel for data visualization if required & Microsoft PowerPoint for presentations. But a Planning Engineer should not only be a software jockey – Sadly most nowadays!
- Daily, Weekly & Monthly Reports: Planning Engineer should be able to do continuous tracking of the project & can prepare required reports as per contract.
- Minutes of Meetings-MOM: He needs to review as well as prepare MOM and float the concerned stakeholder later on. He should be able to handle the Contractor & can challenge the Project Management Team at the same time if anything seems out of track.
- Risk Register Maintenance: He is solely responsible to get updates & keep Risk Register. Also, he should continuously update the PM with any corrective action.
- Event Recording: He should maintain the event records to prepare Extension of Time – EOT later on.
- Letter Writings: He needs to continuously look for any event & float the letters to the Client or the Contractor who is applicable but with the consent of his project manager always.
- Change Order Request: He is the one if he finds any feasible change in scope needs to evaluate the resources, time, etc. & raises it to the concern.
- Project Analysis: He should be good enough to prepare presentable related S Curves like for Earned Value Analysis, can analysis SPI-Schedule Performance Index, CPI-Cost performance Indicators, Cost Variance, Schedule Variance, Progress Measurement System and so on as per requirements.
- Invoice Preparation / Review: As per his job role either he needs to prepare Invoice or to review according to project contractual requirements.
- Lesson Learned Report: He is responsible to prepare & maintain lesson learned throughout the whole project.
I will keep on updating this article and needs your suggestions to elaborate more. If you find it as a good read please share it with your friends.
Planning Engineer is one of the key players of the project team. Planning Engineers roles and responsibilities to keep updated the stakeholder regarding the project scenarios. Planning Engineer does not mean to be an expert in planning and scheduling software instead to have a know how to plan a project keeping in view the project constraints.
One Small Request:
Being a Project Management guy, I know how little time we have to play around on the internet. But if you have found this information useful then please share it to your colleague so that more people can get benefit from it. If you have any question then comment below and I am glad to take it.
If you think it a good read then share with your colleague & also visit here